Pontoon Boats are multi-hull aluminum boats used for both fishing and general recreation, predominantly on inland lakes and rivers. The pontoon boat category has consistently gained in popularity over many years. Today the segment accounts for more than 25% of the entire new powerboat market in the US.
Here’s a quick summary:
- There are currently about 1.1 million pontoon boats registered in the U.S., over half of those (53%) were purchased new or pre-owned during the past 5 years.
- The average pontoon boat is only 15 years old, significantly younger than the average age of the US powerboat fleet (22 years). This is a direct result of exceptional category growth in new boat sales over the last twenty years.
- Last year, only 64% of all pontoon boats were purchased pre-owned (36% New).
- 27% of the people that purchased pontoon boats in 2019 were first-time-boat buyers and 37% of them own another boat (including PWC)
- Pontoon boat buyers tend to be well established. 87% of them are over 40 years-old; almost all own their home.