Articles and Content from the Paddle Sports Safety Campaign
- Video: Always Wear a Life JacketWhether you’re a novice or a seasoned pro, basic safety practices apply to any paddler. The most fundamental of those rules is a single piece of gear: a Life Jacket.
- Video: Always Dress for ImmersionIf you’re going to be on the water, you need to be prepared to be in the water. Following best safety practices starts with the right equipment.
- Video: Always Check the Weather Forecast Before You PaddleSome planning is necessary for any outdoor adventure. But often overlooked is one simple, yet critical checklist item: Check the weather forecast.
- Video: Always Paddle SoberBeing impaired by alcohol or drugs simply complicates any situation when it suddenly turns sideways. On a paddling excursion, the unpredictable nature of any body of water needs to be at the forefront of that clear mind.
- Video: Paddle with a PartnerWhen it comes to paddling in any body of water, it’s crucial to be mindful that no matter how calm and docile, conditions can change at any moment.
- Don’t Try This at Home (or the Lake House)Some of the most important decisions you make while boating happen before you even leave shore—like whether or not to knock back a few beers. Although it can be tempting to enjoy a drink or two while out on the water, booze and boating really don’t mix. According to the U.S. Coast Guard, alcohol is […]
- Video: Salty Jefferson and The Missing PartnerEvery paddler has heard the tales of ol’ Salty, or at least versions of them. On any paddling excursion: Always paddle with a partner, a plan, and with a marine VHF radio.
- Video: Salty Jefferson and Sober ChoicesEvery paddler has heard the tales of ol’ Salty, or at least versions of them. In a case for clear decisions and safety on the water: Never paddle impaired.
- Video: Salty Jefferson and Weather AheadEvery paddler has heard the tales of ol’ Salty, or at least versions of them. For canoeing and kayaking, the reminder is clear: Always check the weather forecast to inform a safe plan.
- Video: Salty Jefferson and What to WearEvery paddler has heard the tales of ol’ Salty, or at least versions of them. If you’re going to be on the water, prepared to be in the water. Always dress for immersion.
- Video: Salty Jefferson and The Legend of the LeashEvery paddler has heard the tales of ol’ Salty, or at least versions of them. When it comes to your next standup paddling adventure: Always Wear a Leash.
- Video: Salty Jefferson, The Life Jacket LegendEvery paddler has heard the tales of ol’ Salty, or at least versions of them. In this case: Always Wear a U.S. Coast Guard-Approved Life Jacket.
The growing popularity of recreational kayaking, kayak fishing and standup paddle boarding has caused an increase of more than 26 percent in paddling accidents and fatalities since 2006. Our Paddling Awareness campaign works to reverse that trend by using paddling enthusiast magazines and digital media to deliver highly targeted safety messages to paddlers. Audience surveys show an ongoing culture shift toward safer paddling thanks to this outreach program, including limiting alcohol consumption and increased use of life jackets.