Offshore Fishing Boats are 27’ and larger fiberglass boats generally used for deep water fishing. They are most commonly multi engine outboard powered center consoles, typically found in coastal areas with ocean access. The category has achieved impressive growth over the last ten years and has decidedly favored ever larger boats.
Here’s a quick summary:
- There are currently about 86,000 offshore fishing boats registered in the U.S., approximately 63% of which were purchased new or pre-owned during the past 5 years.
- The average offshore fishing boat is 14 years old, significantly younger than the age of all registered powerboats in the US (22 years old)
- Last year, 63% of all offshore fishing boats were purchased pre-owned (37% New).
- 88% of the people that purchased offshore fishing boats in 2019 were repeat boat buyers and 12% were first-time-boat buyers. Nearly half of them (46%) also own another boat (including PWC)
- Offshore fishing boat buyers tend to be well established. 84% of them are over 40 years-old; almost all own their home; and they have usually lived there for a while.