Yachts are fiberglass stern drive, inboard, and more recently outboard powered boats 33’ and larger in length. They offer extensive amenities and comfortable living accommodations for extended cruising. They are found in both salt and larger freshwater environments. This segment includes trawler style boats but does not include houseboats or offshore fishing boats.
- There are currently just over 140,000 yachts registered in the U.S., half (50%) of which were purchased new or pre-owned during the past 5 years.
- The average yacht is 22 years old and roughly 2,700 of them are being retired from the fleet each year.
- Last year, 89% of all yachts were purchased pre-owned (11% New).
- 18% of the people that purchased yachts in 2019 were first-time-boat buyers and over half (52%) of them own another boat (including PWC).
- Yacht buyers tend to be well established. 91% of them are over 40 years-old; almost all own their home; and they have usually lived there for a while.