Articles and Content from the Boating Awareness Campaign
- Brush Up on Your Boating SkillsBecoming a safer boater is good. Becoming a more competent and confident boater is better yet.
- Keep a Proper LookoutAs boat captain, it’s your responsibility to maintain an unobstructed view from the helm.
- Personal Watercraft SafetyAs a PWC operator, you must follow all general boating laws and regulations, as well as some rules and tips specific to PWCs.
- Your Life Jacket Only Works If You Wear ItOne doesn’t look foolish in a life jacket. One looks responsible.
- Life Jacket ExtrasThere are many ways beyond flotation in which your life jacket can become your best friend.
- Why You Should Always Use Your Engine Cutoff DeviceSimple and mechanical, it’s practically foolproof—if you’re wearing it.
- Label That Human-Powered WatercraftAdd ownership and phone information to your paddlecraft or small unregistered boat.
- Take on Head Seas More SmoothlyBeat the abuse of head seas with these helpful tips.
- Avoiding, or Dealing with, FloodingCentral to enjoyable boating is keeping water out of the boat.
Our Boating Awareness program uses boating enthusiast magazines and digital media to share highly targeted safety messages to boaters from the sources they trust most. With partners such as Boating, Cruising World, WakeBoarding and In-Fisherman, our oldest outreach program has delivered critical, life-saving information to boaters since 2011. Audience surveys show an ongoing culture shift toward safer boating thanks to this outreach program, including limiting alcohol consumption and increased use of life jackets.